In API7 Cloud, a plugin is a rule that defines how the data plane instance will handle the requests. By saying handled, it means requests might be:
- transformed (headers, query parameters, body);
- protected (authentication, authorization, rate-limiting, etc.);
- recorded (logging, metrics, etc.);
- Plugins attached to the API only work for this API and will override the same ones on the Application (instead of running them twice).
- Plugins attached to the Application will affect all APIs in this Application.
- Plugins attached to the Consumer only work for this Consumer and will override the same ones on the Application and API (instead of running them twice).
- Plugins attached to the Control Plane will be effective for all API requests. Care must be taken that these plugins won't override the same ones on the Application, API, and Consumer, i.e. same plugins will be run twice (the one on Control Plane runs first).
API7 Cloud provides several plugins for different purposes. Please refer to the table of contents below to learn the details.
- Traffic Management